Last Updated on Apr 8, 2020 by James W
A green business is one that demonstrates a commitment to an environmentally sustainable future. Pitted against other kinds of businesses, a green business has two major advantages.
One, starting a green business can be particularly satisfying as you get to make your own contribution to make the world a better place. Two, environmentalism is a rapidly growing movement so you will be targeting a growing market.
Here are 7 green business ideas for environmentally conscious entrepreneurs.
- Sustainable construction materials
Green building materials are taking over the construction industry. According to the US Green Building Council, up to 48% of all non-residential construction in the US are classified as green building.
There are many benefits of going green in the construction industry. First, going green is good for the environment. Second, it saves money and third it can offer healthier places to work and live.
To find out if this business is right for you, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is your area one in which there are several constructions and/or remodeling are going on?
- Are you LEED certified or do you know LEED standards fairly well?
- Do you have a background in sustainable construction or remodeling?
2. A grease trap cleaning service
You could also start a grease trap cleaning service. Grease traps are devices connected to the water drainage systems of restaurants that collect FOG (fats, oils and grease). This helps avoid the clogging of drainage pipes.
With a grease trap cleaning service, you could offer services such as:
- Complete removal of grease trap contents
- Trap oils to maintain service quality
- Deodorization and replacement of lids
- Inlet and outlet point inspections
- Reporting of trap condition and abnormalities
- Washing and scraping of walls and baffles
3. Sell eco-friendly cleaning products
Using green products protects users from chemical exposure. From vehicles to laundry, things need to be scrubbed clean. But what concerns most people is what goes down the drain. People want to get the sparkle without harming the environment.
To help with this, you could establish an ecommerce site focusing on selling green cleaning products. With commercial and residential cleaning businesses still growing in demand, positioning your business as eco-friendly will undoubtedly give you a good competitive edge.
4. Solar water heating systems and solar power generation
Solar energy is a clean, renewable process that uses the most natural of all resources: the sun. This energy can help reduce your home’s greenhouse gas emissions and help the environment.
Unlike conventional power, solar produces no harmful emissions that hurt the environment. Besides being green and renewable, here are other benefits of using solar power:
- It’s cheaper than standard electric systems.
- It’s safe to use and install. Solar power utilizes lower voltage.
- Solar panels are easy to install.
- It’s durable.
- It’s available anywhere.
- Solar is a renewable energy source, and above all;
- Solar is green.
5. Green building consultant
There is a huge demand for “green professionals,??? especially those in fields such as building contractors, engineers, architects, and interior designers. You could become an expert in any of these fields by getting the work experience, undergoing some training, and getting the required licensing to qualify as a green expert.
Examples of the scope of work of a green building consultant include:
- Identify and recommend suppliers for green building material and services procurement.
- Conduct water audits, waste water management and rainwater harvesting studies.
- Manage entire Green Building rating compliance and documentation process.
6. Organic Catering
America has a growing appetite for all things healthy. Consumers are happy to do away with genetic modified foods as well as those with added antibiotics and hormones.
With an organic catering business, you could offer free-range meats along with vegan, gluten-free, and paleo-meal options.
Here are good examples of successful sustainable catering companies:
- Global Gourmet Catering
- Windows Catering Company
- Elaine Bell Catering
7. Bicycle repair and refurbishing
Cycling remains a strong and popular sport in the United States. People use bikes for transportation, exercise, and fun. Like most modes of transportation, bicycles need an occasional tune-up.
You could be the go-to person when it comes to bicycle repair and refurbishing.
Also, you could consider renting out bikes and scooters if you live in an urban area. Bikes and scooters are a very appealing “all-in-one solution???. They improve one’s health, they are environmentally friendly, and they are cheap to use.
These are just a few of the many home-based green businesses you could start. Having a green business means you’re likely to stand out because it’s sustainable, eco-friendly and beneficial to society.